Thursday, February 21, 2019

Sounds - Which Ones Does Your Pig Recognize?

I'm not talking about the sounds that your pig makes, but the sounds that you make on a daily basis that they seem to respond to. We all know that they know the sound of a bag of chips, or food in their bowl, but what about other sounds that we make in our daily routine.

It was several years ago when living in NV that I noticed Chelie's reaction when I put on my winter coat. She had figured out the sound that it made when I put it on and knew that we were going outside. 

Lately I've been watching Porky and some of the other pigs to see which sounds they recognize. They seem to know the sound of the screen door opening, but only react when it is close to feeding time.
They do always seem to know when it's feeding time don't they?  Porky along with Rudy and Gracie seem to recognize the sound of the backdoor now and get all excited hoping that I will come over and let them out.

Most recently Porky has come to recognize the sound of the garage door going up/down. This isn't so bad most times when I'm leaving as he is usually still in his pen or far enough out in the yard, but I find myself racing to get the car into the garage and door closed before Porky when he is anywhere close by. You see he knows that is where the food is kept.

Porky guarding the garage.


Does anyone else have a similar experience?

3 comments:

  1. My boy knows when I grunt twice to him,it means it's time to go. One day we went for a walk & he grunted to me, I grunted twice & he turned around & started towards me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehehheehhee...cute!!! You made me laugh! Thank you! I have some embarrassing neurological conditions that make me grunt and sound more like my piggy, Penelope, Princess of Darkness, than a human. It sucks but then I got Penelope, and she gets it! We communicate through a variety of my ticking sounds and, as I commonly call it, my Untin & Gruntin! She comes running to me when I make various repetitive half words and unts, shooting noises into the air that humans would normally give me disapproving squishy odd face dismissive looks while turning their heads in disgust! As for Penelope? She speaks my language and is the backside of my repulsion magnet! She comes running as if I was yelling "Sueeeeeeyyyy!" in some 1950's farm movie! She's a protective handful of nuttah, and I love her so!

    Heck yeah they understand what you are saying...even if nobody else does!!! Thank you for helping to save my life Penelope!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband will go sing to our Petunia and she likes to sing with him...it's the sweetest thing to hear

    ReplyDelete